Newport Water & Sewer: est 1894
About Newport Water Department
David Brennan: Superintendent
The Newport Water Works began in 1894 when iron pipe was laid from Gilman Pond in Unity (5.5 miles away) to the Center of Newport. In 1895 the water system supplied approximately 169 families, two hotels, a railroad depot, two printing offices and 20 stores.Other than expanding the number of services, very few changes to the water system were made for the next fifty years. After a severe drought in 1963, in 1966 the town constructed a gravel packed well in Pollards Mills area. In 1967 the town constructed a two and one-half million gallon water tank at the end of Summer Street Extension.The Water Filtration Plant was built in 1992. In 2000 a new 1.5 million gallon water tank was built at the end of Summer Street, replacing a steel tank built in 1967.
Today The Newport Water Department has over fifty miles of water mains. We serve more than five thousand people and commercial and industrial consumers.
The Water Quality Page has a listing of the most recent testing done for chemical monitoring. This testing was done by the state water lab. Almost all materials tested for are "below detection limits". In addition, the water is tested daily, monitored continuously, and results are reported monthly.
In 2001, The Water Department completed our building upgrade to the old chlorine house built in 1954 in Unity, New Hampshire.
Q: Does Newport water contain Fluoride?
|• Town of Newport • 15 Sunapee St • Newport, NH 03773 •
Copyright © The Town of Newport, NH. All rights reserved.
Hosting & Design by: Functional Art Solutions